I have an accountability partner. Shari Sherman. We’ve been checking in with each other for the last six years. This week I committed to making an encaustic piece a day. Today I worked on a small piece today. I love those lone trees in the middle of a vast field. I call them witness trees. Who knows what they have seen as they’ve grown over the years. Imagine a 200 year old lifespan.
A lone tree guy was here cutting down the rest of the poplar leftover from the crew. This guy cut down this giant tree by himself. A matter of physics, spatial relations and just plain genius. Lots of chain sawing.
I have a plan for this witness tree piece. More to come…
Encaustic medium allows me to create interesting work with texture and layers that I love. I want to keep my creative habit going. I haven’t worked with encaustic in six months. I see it waiting for me everyday. Today is the day.
This is a small experiment with a photo in black and white, printed on my laser printer. I rubbed the photo onto the wax, wet it and pulled the paper off. This is a hot mess (encaustic joke).
- I learned that you have to rub very hard for the image to transfer.
- When printing, you have to flip the image.
- High contrast is best.
- It doesn’t matter what you put under the image in terms of color.
- When you put wax over the top, you have to use a BIG brush or you will get globs.
- You will need several transparent layers of wax or in reheating the newly applied wax, the printed transfer will FLOAT! Argh.
#doingthework #successhabits #discipline #ineeddeadlines #encausticwax #imagetransfer
Makes me think of a wildfire. Just a quick sketch. I was working on a commission piece all day. Sorry to be so short with this.
#HTP31in31 #dothework #habits #ineeddeadlines #discipline